View Single Post
Old 11-20-15, 07:04 AM   #10
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Browsing around on ebay today, I found this:
Sporlan EGV 1 2 C 5638275 1 2 Ton TXV 5" Cap Tube with Clamp R 22 150302 | eBay
From one of my favorite hacking sources, Surplus City Liquidators.
Further down the page, another gem, same dealer:
Alco BAEB1 2HCA 71070050 1 2 Ton R 22 TXV with External Equalizer 60890 | eBay

While you're at it, buy some more hardware. They combine shipping. If you don't especially like ebay, they are a brick and mortar store with a website and a 1-800 number.

Another suggestion I have during the trials/proving process is this: instead of flare unions at either end of your cap tube assy, use ball valves. These can be bought as a set of 3 for use with charging hoses. To swap out metering devices, simply valve off the device and break the seal on the downstream flare. Swap out devices and install the upstream flare. Crack open the valve slightly to purge the device, then install the downstream flare. Leak check and run the new device.

For rough guesstimating cap tubes, it is better to run multiple lengths in parallel if you are going to crimp them off. It is easy to crimp off a cap tube, not so easy to un-crimp to reverse the action. That being said, I usually do the ball valve thing and connect a chain of shorter tube assemblies in series with flare unions. Flare nuts and unions are not free, but they are reusable, and so are the cap tube assemblies once you make them.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
stevehull (11-22-15)