View Single Post
Old 04-24-12, 04:01 PM   #22
Drake
DIY Guy

I'm not arguing that air quality is unimportant. But most government or manufactures standards lean way to worst case and error on the side of profit over savings. I like the theory of HRV but the real ones I've seen operating here in MN have frosted to uselessness when needed most and have have not made it half thru their spec'ed life without severe corrosion. Most ness systems that include pretempering incoming air have not been operation long enough to judge except that they control frosting. These add-on systems are mechanically elaborate and need to be done at construction time to be at all cost effective. Which leaves out a build and test how tight it is approach. I'm not seeing the real positive results that passive solar design, super insulating, building smaller(better use of space), LED lighting(not CFL's), PV generation, radiant heating, energy/water saving appl, real "green"/recycling lifestyle(less waste) are showing. I'm not convinced that the current HRV's are the best or only answer to fresh air. No offense to anyone. I am following the DIY HRV thread.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote