View Single Post
Old 12-18-13, 02:13 PM   #35
Nonhog
Knows enough to be danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post

dissatisfaction with the 'atrium'...

If I had it, I would remove all the glass roof and put in the best insulation I possibly could, but I would keep a smallish opening skylight at the peak, to dump heat in the summertime.

Your atrium should be re-purposed into a 'Core Room', that was well insulated in the walls, roof & floor... but leave a few high R-value windows that could open into the rest of the house. I would retreat to the core room in the winter evenings and in the peak heat days of summer, closing the windows when I did so.

It would leak heat (or cool), but it would leak heat (or cool) into the rest of your house.

You could turn a pain-in-the-Nonhog into a real asset.

I also love the way that the furnace was placed in the garage, making it possible to lose the maximum possible amount of heat... just GREAT!

-AC
I actually like the atrium. It use to have a hot tub. after the 3rd year we took it out. Do miss it from time to time.
Seeing the moon from inside the house is a real treat.
We talked about roofing and insulating the atrium room but my wife would not have it. We are surrounded by tall fir tree's. She wants all the light coming in she can get.
Gets worse! She wants to open the kitchen into the atrium which w/o the tall ceiling and glass is not a bad idea.
With that area open it could be a real chore to keep the house at a reasonable temp. I am thinking some sort of doors to close off atrium from kitchen when we need to heat or cool? So much to consider............sigh!
Nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote