View Single Post
Old 07-02-18, 02:55 AM   #17
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Default 16 pack of t8 replacements being clearanced for $17.95

I stumbled upon this thread, and went to the lowes site to see what the current pricing on their t8 replacements was, and found that they have 16 packs they are blowing out for $17.23!

They are also selling 4 packs for $4.95.

They come in what they call "bright white" (4000K), and "daylight" (6000k) versions. The 6000K versions will have a lot more harsh "blue" light in them which I don't like, so I went with the 4000K version, which will be close to the light that "cool white" fluorescent bulbs produce.

WARNING!!!!
An issue with these is that they are not set up to run off of 120v AC line voltage and will only work with an electronic t8 ballast. This reduces the efficiency a bit, but, heck, for about $1.11 a tube, it's hard to pass up on it.

I recently put out a wanted listing on Craigslist asking for commercial 48" fluorescent troffers that had been replaced during renovations, and got lucky and got 8 3-tube 24" x 48" troffers that a commercial remodeller was planning on scrapping. I was planning on gutting them of their ballasts and using T8 LED tubes that would work on 120V AC, but now I won't bother -- I'll just wire them up and use them as-is in my 2 bay garage with these LED tubes.

WARNING!!!!! I say again:
1. THESE WILL *NOT WORK* WITHOUT AN ELECTRONIC T8 BALLAST.
2. THESE WILL NOT WORK IN T12 FIXTURES BECAUSE THEY USE THE OLDER "NON-ELECTRONIC" BALLASTS.
3. THE REVIEWS STATE THAT THESE DON'T WORK WITH "BRIDGED" TOMBSTONES.

I grabbed a bunch of cases in the Portland Oregon area, but there are still more local Lowes stores carrying them. Maybe they will also be available in your area too. I plan to re-sell a few cases worth of these tubes at $2.00 each to pay for the cases I am using.

Here are links:
16 pack of tubes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...ulb/1000264765
4 packs of tubes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-4...ulb/1000264747

I did find some strange pricing differences depending on which store I selected. Most showed the clearance pricing, but some didn't. YMMV.

Enjoy,

Philip
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote