View Single Post
Old 10-14-16, 08:27 AM   #5
stevehull
Steve Hull

Roostre,

Renvu is a superb place to get advice for first time DIYer such as yourself. I do strongly advise against central inverter units and power optimizers.

Several people on this site have installed Enphase microinverters and it is really simple. Maybe they will chime in.

Lastly, avoid the perspective to "just wait, the price will come down". The solar industry will have further declines in modules and inverters, but at $1/watt for materials, we are getting close to basic manufacturing costs. For example, racking costs are fixed and are about $25 per panel. The basic cost of aluminum rails, nuts/bolts/screws is right there. The further price declines (next couple years) will only be a tiny fraction of the declines we have seen in the last ten years.

Waiting just reduces your ROI and you need to do something now considering your 2016 impending tax situation.

I agree with Jeff that putting in a too small system is a waste of time. Do it right the first time. The best way to do this is to design your system size correctly. I gather you have an annual metering so that you can "store" or bank kWhrs in the summer for winter use. Is that correct?

If it is, then you are very lucky.

Might be helpful to show us your month by month kWhr use as well as the charges per kWhr throughout the year. That way, we can assist you on designing the "right" size in kW and panel number. You are exactly correct that too large a system is a waste.

An intermediate install plan would be to hire a handyman that is not afraid to work on the roof. Let's say, you pay him $25/hour and the job requires some 40 hours. You are out some additional $1000 for labor, but then you still get some 45% back of this $1000 (fed and your state credits). Beats paying a solar installer some $20,000 + to put in $10,000 worth of solar materials (panels, microinverters, racking, wiring).

The last thought I wish to leave you with is that Enphase has a 25 year non-prorated guarantee. This is through Siemens. I have had to only replace one Enphase microinverter (of many hundreds) and it was here in four days with pre-paid shipping of the bad unit back.

Let us know how to help. Even though it is just a "nuts and bolts" install, this is a major project, let's be realistic. But it is one that will have incredible financial and satisfaction perspectives.

Steve

Steve
Roostre (10-14-16)