View Single Post
Old 06-18-15, 08:41 AM   #9
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
A very strict cycle of heavy night time venting with whole house fan and closing up during he day last summer in my very air tight well insulated cabin kept temps well cooler than outside(as comfortable as AC) all day but lead to some heavy mildewing of leather items and some fabrics in storage areas where humidity condensed and air flow was stagnated. So natural night cooling can be overdone. Could use dehumidifier but that is a power demand I would not like to add. May have had more humid period last summer then normal. But I think that I was night cooling to near dew point inside during the day to much.
I use the air conditioning if the dew point will be above 55 degrees F otherwise areas this would be an issue for me. Luckily we've had enough nights with dew points under 55 degrees F to where I've only had the house above 76 degrees in the hottest parts three days total so far. We've been lucky with a few 50-55 degree lows at night with dew points under 50 to where this has worked well. Usually this time of year that is out of the question. I find using the dew point forecast that comes with the weather.gov hourly charts to be especially useful and surprisingly accurate for temperature and dew point estimations. Oddly enough they seem to be the most accurate source of rain/snow forecasts that I've been able to find too, granted it isn't perfect because no weather forecast will be but it seems as close as it gets. It seems we are on our final week or two until cooling with windows open is not possible without high dew points and I will resort to air conditioning. ..haven't used it yet though which is the first year since I moved into this place 5 years ago in 2010 where I've been able to stretch it to mid-June without AC to keep the house low in moisture and cool here in Minnesota. It's been a great summer so far, mostly because of the rain keeping the clouds overhead. Not the best for the solar system though, I'm probably 100kwh short for the past 30 days and about the same for the 30 days before that.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote