View Single Post
Old 06-12-15, 01:42 AM   #1
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Cheap efficient overnight cooling

I'm sure this has been done before but maybe will inspire others..

Our summer days can get very hot in Spain but the nights are much cooler. Leaving the Windows open to let cool air in works to a degree but there seems to be little air movement at night so the cooling isn't great.

I'm not a fan of air conditioning so although we have it in the bedroom I've rarely used it and the few times I have it has just been to cool the bedroom before going to bed, I've not left the machine running overnight.

So to capitalise on the lovely cool air I decided to build a window fan system using cheap table top fans. I found some 30cm fans that were very cheap on ebay and then simply cut a piece of foam board to the size of the open window and mounted 4 fans in it. The fans are mounted so they blow from inside to outside, pulling cool air in through any open window. As we have window blinds I can just lower the blind if I don't need to use the fans.

It works extremely well, can be easily regulated (plug in as many fans as I need), and does a great job of pulling in cool air.

Acuario

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 06-12-15 at 09:34 AM..
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (06-16-15), Daox (06-12-15)