View Single Post
Old 10-18-13, 10:28 PM   #7
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Are these left handed threads?
The top one is fixed and the bottom one should come off. If I squeeze won't that turn the bottom one to the right?
Depends on how you position the wrenches , which direction it tries to turn the big / flare nit fitting .

When I put my lines together , for good , I smeared both sides of the flare ( on the copper tubing ) and the threads if the fitting with Nylog Blue .

I read about using a 37 degree flaring tool ? My old one was 45 degree . I obsessed about this for several days . Finally read that the copper is soft enough that the 45 degree flare will form to the fitting & flare nut , all by itself .

So , that is what I did . Seemed to work OK .

Looks like you are using a factory made line set ? So , the flares are probably pre-made at the factory ? If so , you do not have to mess with it . Unless you have to cut the copper ?

If you cut the copper , use a tubing cutter with a sharp / new wheel . And ream the end of the copper well before you flare it . I held the end of the copper tubing down so the shavings would fall out and not get & stay in the tubing . I did not want copper shavings to be circulating around inside the system . Also blew the tubing out with compressed air , before I hooked it up .

There probably is a plastic disk under the flare nut , to seal the tubing & keep dirt and moisture out . I would not remove this , until you are ready to hook-up the line set . Or , if you take it loose , put it back & snug tighten the flare nit to keep the line sealed .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote