View Single Post
Old 02-09-16, 10:10 AM   #5
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The solar installer I originally consulted was gung ho for enphase, as I am too. He was against generator and pv at the same time for similar reasons of frying an expensive investment. Outback might have something in a gridtie hybrid system. I think you'll end up needing batteries though. It seems like enphase might work with the signal of another battery powered inverter, like faking the grid.
It probably makes the most investment sense to reap the savings of gridtie micro inverters and spend it on diesel fuel when you need it.
In a previous house I built I installed a couple of emergency generator only outlets that were powered only when needed. It wouldn't be too hard to do the same powered by solar and battery. Battery could be charged by generator too. With your well pump and freezer load you'll need a good sized generator no matter what. Can you downsize your generator needs by moving everything else to grid tie battery hybrid?