View Single Post
Old 11-27-13, 10:34 AM   #47
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiesche View Post
I'm looking forward to getting the crawlspace insulated to bring the system up to its true potential
opiesche,

I'm not too far from doing a radiant floor of my own, so I'd like to ask a few questions...

Did you measure and record what the feed temperatures were to your radiant floor before and after you insulated under the floors? I don't fully recall what kind of setup you had, but as I remember, there was a gas water heater that you used for heating... I don't know if you set the water heater to some working temperature, and controlled the house temp by cycling the pump to the water heater or what?

So, did you see a dramatic change after insulating?

I know that Vlad had a system that would inject pulses of water heater water into the circulatory flow as required, and he was able to monitor what the temperature of the input flow was. I thought there might be something equivalent with your setup, even though as I write this, there probably is not.

The plan I am working on is to use a very similar construction method as you used, with the exceptions that I intend to put some high-load styrofoam insulation directly under the aluminum plates, and instead of using OSB over the plates, I'm planning on using tile backer board, which has a higher U-value (lower R-value) than OSB.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions as to my intended approach?

Lastly, I think that your Raspberry Pi temp logger is brilliant, and I intend to build one also. I'll likely be asking lots of questions as the time approaches...

Best,

-AC_Hacker