View Single Post
Old 03-23-18, 07:17 AM   #6
Tpm
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
To the to wit question: no. In this configuration, all the heat pump is going to do is offset the temperature gradient outdoors from indoors. The fraction of heat grabbed outdoors from the solar preheating circuit is transported (at electrical power cost) indoors. The increase in COP is the useful energy gleaned from the preheating rig.
Well, no to your 'no.' (The rest of your post is largely incomprehensible.) If I add 5 degrees to entry air in 40 degree weather then the cold side temp is effectively 45 rather than 40, the Delta T with the hot side shrinks and output temp and COP move higher than can be explained by addition alone.

Hx efficiency? I invite you to consider 100 degree water moving at 0.6 gpm through a radiator cooled by 800 cfm of 40 degree air. Solar collector efficiency shoots up as well.

Potential? A two ton heat pump can be expected to move 48,000 cf of air per hour. At 40 degrees, that volume of dry air weighs 800 pounds, give or take. My solar thermal is good for 3,600 btu/hr on a bright day with much hotter entry water. And, please, do not make me define the word 'potential.'

No thoughts on 50 cycle vs 60?
Tpm is offline   Reply With Quote