View Single Post
Old 11-20-15, 09:34 PM   #10
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
How big a tank?
5000 btu/hr for 8 hrs = 20,000 btu = about $1.00 worth of electricity for resistance heat, only 30 cents for HP input.

You mentioned 55 gal bbl. About 500# of water. Say you can cool the water down to 75F during the day getting the heat out, heat it up to 125 F during off peak

That is 25,000 BTU; however, you have also cooled your other bbl down 50F, etc..
do you see where this discussion is headed?
Eventually I think I would like to have a 275 gallon tote each for the hot and cold side, and a larger compressor, maybe multiple compressors. In the winter I need a lot of dehumidification in an unheated building, I want to use the cold water for that. I can use the hot water to heat a different heated space. Then, in the summer, I'll cool the heated space, and probably use a pump and dump type geothermal system for the hot side. Don't have humidity issues in the summer...

I want to use the 55 gallon drums to experiment with since it will be relatively easy to weigh the water and accurately calculate the BTUs on each side.

Somehow I hope to also pull DHW out of this too. Every Sunday and holiday power is "off peak" for a full 24 hours, so it would be nice if I could take advantage of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Browsing around on ebay today, I found this:
Sporlan EGV 1 2 C 5638275 1 2 Ton TXV 5" Cap Tube with Clamp R 22 150302 | eBay
From one of my favorite hacking sources, Surplus City Liquidators.
Further down the page, another gem, same dealer:
Alco BAEB1 2HCA 71070050 1 2 Ton R 22 TXV with External Equalizer 60890 | eBay
Very nice! With ebay it's just a matter of actually finding that thing you know they must have...
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote