View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 08:43 PM   #32
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryZ View Post
Nice work AC, I just started following and noticed the plastic vapor barrier you had used originally. What kind of shape was the insulation behind the visqueen? Is that a little black mold showing up? Even with your carefully applied caulk and sealed up seams, it looks like moisture can still find its way past the vapor barrier, but then gets stuck in there without a way to dry out.
I have used this technique in other parts of the house without problems. I'm using three layers of 2" foam, completely foaming and sealing the edges of each layer.

I probably will not use the plastic barrier, there is no need. The walls are sealed so completely that no air will get through.

When I removed the fiberglass insulation that was behind the plastic film, it actually looked pretty good. I didn't see any black mold, but I did see some dusty blackness where air and dust had passed through the fiberglass.

My very first attempts to use rigid foam board, I didn't realize the importance of absolutely sealing the foam. There is not so much of the house where I made that mistake, but it will have to be redone sometime later.

I had a representative from an energy retrofit company come by the house to talk about HRVs. He was very impressed with my method... in fact he said that they are using the very same method to retrofit under roofs. He even offered to let me use their blower door over-night when I'm very close to complete.

Such a deal.

-AC_Hacker