View Single Post
Old 09-23-12, 02:46 AM   #23
Sirius
Lurking Renovator

I didn't realize asking about spray foaming an attic would cause such division. This difference of opinion could actually be very good in coming up with a way to quickly, cheaply, AND qualitatively use spray foam.

I know how it goes, QUICK, FAST, CHEAP pick two.

We might be on to something here. Since I live in southern California, I don't really need to worry about vapor barriers as much as you folks in the frozen north.

I do have a garage that is attached to the house. I even have a contractor acquaintence who is telling me that spray foaming that bit is going to be way expensive and I should forget about it.

I like the spray foam idea in the garage portion that is attached to the living areas. It keeps out the carbon monoxide from the vehicles. I can do the same with plastic and cheaper too, however... I'm in my 40's, by myself, and have a full time job. I'm not going to leave the contents of the garage outside while I take a few days to staple plastic wrap on the ceiling and two walls of the garage. Then go tape up the staples. In this instance, spray foam would be an incredible time saver. And with the eco foam that is out there, I'm not killing the environment.

Back to my attic. Let me remind you, 40's, by myself and full time job. Would spray foam be any faster than cellulose?

And before I forget, has anyone had any experience with the foil shields you put in the attic to reflect heat?

Let me know.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote