View Single Post
Old 12-07-10, 11:23 PM   #6
toolingjim
Believer in Progress

Yeah, I was in that mode for a long time-- make the tool, to make the tool, to make the tool... I finally got past it awhile back except for special tooling.
I am also a gun nut. Haven't done much shooting the last few years. Mauser 98's are my first love, but I am currently working (slowly) on a Remington rolling block in 45-70. I will soon have the barrel in the lathe if I can ever get back to a standard work week. I also have an M1 Garand that I need to rebarrel. Way down on the todo list are several rifle actions I have squirrelled away that I hope to build into shootin' irons some day. I decided years ago that if I cannot afford some of the classic firearms I would like to have, I would just have to build my own. I now have the skills and knowledge to start creating them. I just need to find the time and energy.
I forgot that I also have one of those 4"x6" band saws. It's hard to think of it as a machine tool, but it sure saves the old arms. I have a Boyar-Schulz 6x12 surface grinder, but it has issues, so I can't call it ready to use.
The lathe you put in the pic looks like a solid machine that should do good work. I can't tell the size, but you can often sustitute ingenuity for capacity. For instance, I am going be machining a 32 inch octagon barrel in a 10x24 logan lathe and a mill drill with a 28 inch table. Impossible? No, just improbable.
Well, it's late and I have work early tomorrow. I hope doax doesn't slap me up for this off topic message. I'm pretty sure restoring a 120 year old rifle action doesn't qualify as ecorenovating!
talk to you soon.