View Single Post
Old 01-04-16, 02:07 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default I bought a used Large Big Green Egg.

Since is uses hard wood only to cook with I thought this would be a good place to post it. (but it can be moved if you don't agree where it is posted)
This is what it looked like on the craigslist ad.

I drove to Charlotte NC to pick it up. But I think it was worth it.
It came with a plate setter used for indirect cooking. A cover and a cart that was in so so shape.
No cracks and they never used lighter fluid in it (that kills a BGE).
The vent is cast iron and had one ear broken off but he gave me the piece that was broken.
Fixed it.

He said I needed a new temperature probe and new springs for the lid.

When I got it home I pressured washed the stand added some screws. I calibrated the temperature probe it works fine now. I adjusted the hinge it works fine now. I put some new bolts that were not rusted just for looks.

I have ordered a rutland gasket for it. It can take 2200 degrees.
From ebay I ordered Weber 7439 Replacement Charcoal Grate for it for $14 shipped.
I put on a smoke ware Chimney Cap. Grilling Accessories for Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe – Smokeware
This will allow you to open the egg and not have to readjust the air flow every time. You can cook in hard rain with this. You don’t need to take this off to put one the fire when you are done cooking.

I have cooked a pork roast 10 hours straight. It just fell off the bone.

This is how I start the charcoal it takes maybe 4 min and I am up to temp in the egg in no time at all quicker that the propane grill.

I had never cooked on one before but I really like it. It is so surprising how little charcoal you use. As soon as you are done cooking you close the top and bottom vent that put out the fire and lets you use the charcoal again to cook next time.
Brilliant idea.

I cooked one ham 5 hours, one prime rib, hamburgers 2 X, steak 2 X, a whole chicken, a turkey. A pork roast 10 hours. All on one bag of charcoal.

You can grill, Smoke, Sear or Bake.

I got an iGrill2 for it with an ambient temp probe option. This talks buletooth to my phone and will alarm when the food is cooked.
iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer | iDevices LLC

I can monitor the food and grill temp from my desk as I work.

Anyone else have a big green egg or other komodo style cooker?

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-04-16 at 08:35 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote