View Single Post
Old 08-26-09, 02:58 PM   #8
maxcooper
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Install a hardware power switch.
That won't work for the way folks generally use DVRs, as it won't record anything when the switch is off.

Quote:
Buy some used large speakers, get improved sound quality, and do away with the subwoofer.
You need a sub to hear the ".1" LFE track from movies -- a receiver will not play this content on the main speakers. Room placement and LF extension are two more reasons why big main speakers are not a perfect replacement for a subwoofer.

Quote:
my homemade TI hybrid digital uses when *operating*.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...ome-audio.html
That's cool! Nice work.

I have some Panasonic receivers that use TI's "digital amp" modules. They are relatively efficient as receivers go, but still use 25+ watts when on and not playing anything.

Quote:
Which means that my old desktop computer (not originally designed for high efficiency, even!) and TI hybrid digital amplifier combined use less power than that amplifier when left idling.
You'll be appalled when I tell you that it uses 125 watts when on and not doing anything. It drops a bit to ~90 watts if you switch the speaker setting to "4 ohms" (which still works fine with 8 ohm speakers, but just limits the power output a bit). The Onkyo 805 isn't efficient from an energy usage perspective, but it is a gem in other ways so I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. And the standby power isn't out of line as long as the HDMI Control feature is off (and I have no use for that feature anyway).

-Max
maxcooper is offline   Reply With Quote