View Single Post
Old 12-19-12, 11:23 AM   #67
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNeufenergy View Post
Gary Gary, I like your build-up and if you can get anywhere near the 80% efficiency, that would be great. Are you planning on having two blowers, perhaps the existing dryer's with the additional one in your mock-up?

I remember reading somewhere that for a lot of clothes, the high temperatures in modern dryers actually degrade and wear out fabric. Another approach would be to lower the temp. and force the air, like hanging your clothes out to dry on a cool windy day instead of a hot muggy day. I don't know what the difference would be on the HX if you were, in effect, decreasing the delta-T between the two air flows while increasing the velocity.
Hi,
I do plan to have a blower in the outside air path and use the dryers blower for the dryer exhaust path. I've got an Elucent blower that appears to be about the right size -- I think it might be in one of the pictures.

Found this really interesting paper on dryers -- great stuff on using dryers more effectively and also some material on heat recovery. Just the bit on energy involved in drying beyond what is required is amazing.

http://www.aceee.org/files/proceedin...apers/2206.pdf

Title is: Are We Missing Energy Savings in Clothes Dryers?
Paul Bendt, Ecos

One of the things they cover int he paper is not heating the dryer air so hot -- its a good saving.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote