View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 02:05 PM   #57
eNeufenergy
Lurking Renovator

Hi, I'm new to ER but am quite interested in what is going on here. Our home energy use is similar with the electric clothes dryer being the biggest user, followed closely by the refrigerator. And since we live in the Pacific NW, outside clothes drying in the winter doesn't work. Drying indoors, since the humidity level rises so significantly creates other problems. I'm guessing that the energy that is expended to evaporate moisture from the clothes drying process indoors, well it's just one of those things where nothing is "free." One way or the other you pay for it.

All that said, I really like the HRV concept and I'd add or rather combine it with the barrel exchanger set between the dryer and the HRV. My suspicion is the difficulty is not in getting heat exchange, the difficulty is in keeping the heat exchange surfaces clean so they can do what they are designed to do. My reasoning: I would figure that by dumping the clothes dryer lint-filled, damp air into the barrel first would create a pressure drop, along with the significant temp. drop from the aluminum coiled tube that is bringing the counter-flow outdoor air towards the clothes dryer. So the pressure drop (like what a dust collector uses with a venturi upstream of the filters) would cause the majority of lint to drop out before it goes on to the secondary HRV. And, the moisture that would also drop out would act as a magnet for the lint. In other words, do everything you can to clean up the air and get rid of as much moisture you can before you run it all through the secondary HRV. The HRV would be incredibly difficult to clean and the barrel would be comparatively easier; insulate and incline the barrel, put a drain hose on one of the bungs and have access to the lid so you can pull the offending lint off the coiled aluminum duct to get a good exchange.

I'm motivated enough to give this a try.
eNeufenergy is offline   Reply With Quote