View Single Post
Old 07-11-17, 11:01 PM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

If you ever might try the rig out as an ice making chiller, don't use a brazed plate heat exchanger unless you are planning on using a secondary refrigerant (aka antifreeze loop) that isn't water. BPHE'S should be prevented from freezing at all cost! They tend to crack like an egg after a couple of seconds. Coaxial HX are a little more tolerant: one of those might last a minute or three. Your idea of a coil in a drum would be much more tolerant of ice conditions.

For monitoring, I tend to load my units up like they are on life support when they are young. As inexpensive as the kill-a-watt meters, digital thermometer sensors, and current clamp monitors are, you can monitor a dozen different things constantly and log them for less than $50 spent. For pressure readings, I just leave my gauge set connected for the first little while. After some torture testing and confidence building, only a few temperatures really need to be monitored to take care of automating the operation. Compressor head / discharge pipe temperature, ambient temperature, evaporator discharge or compressor suction temperature or defrost temperature need to be monitored. If deemed necessary, high and low pressure limit sensors can also remain. With liquid circuits, a flow sensor in each loop can help immensely.

Last edited by jeff5may; 07-12-17 at 05:53 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote