View Single Post
Old 09-16-14, 12:19 PM   #1
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default LED's replacing 48" Fluorescent tubes

Hi Gang,

I just bought 4 x 48" 24 watt LED tubes to replace the CFL tubes in the shop. First thought is the light is quite good although a little harsher than the tubes I replaced (more on this later).

One LED tube uses 21 watts on my P3 meter and I found that one light in the fixture is enough as I have several fixtures around the shop relatively close together. The CFL's I replaced use 27.5 watts each but the light from one is not adequate so using two is a must for me (55 watts).
Power saved is (55 x 4) - (21 x 4) or 136 watt hours which I think is significant.

The lights I purchased come with three cover options, milky, clear and striped. I wanted milky but they were out so the eBay seller gave me a deal on the striped 24 watt lights over my original purchase of 20 watt lights. My advice is to get the milky as I think the light will be less harsh.

I like the idea that I don't have spent CFL's to deal with, somehow the long bulbs are more annoying than the E27 lamps we use in our standard lamp sockets. Also so times things get hectic in the shop and I've smacked the CFL's a couple of time and cringed that glass and mercury would come raining down on my which fortunately has not happened!

The fixtures have to be modified but it only took me ten minutes or less to do each one.

Overall I like the bulbs, my cost was $48.99 with free shipping for 4 bulbs. There are several sellers for these kinds of bulbs on eBay.

Rob

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote