View Single Post
Old 08-17-14, 02:19 PM   #9
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Theotilus

We have managed though winters quite nicely here in Canada with GSHP,s. They work extremely well saving us a lot of $$$. Before you dismiss the bore holes. Get a quote. It may surprise you. You having in-floor heat is already the pathway to nirvana.

You have already found the efficiency of ASHP's Can you imagine what a GSHP could do for you.

The money I saved within the first year more than paid for the excavation for the ground loop. You may find the same with paying a contractor just to install your bore hole loop.

I was going to suggest for the coldest days just plug-in some electric baseboard heaters but that's like going back to lighting with kerosene when you were considering LED,s.

Sometimes even with the DIY blood running in your veins, Sometimes you have to call in the guys with the heavy equiptment to get the job done.

Hack that Unichiller with either a brazed plate or coaxial heat exchanger, turn it into a water to water GSHP. Enjoy green, warm, heat starting at your toes as you stare out the window at the winter. Knowing its only costing you pennies.

I'll put out something else for you to think of. If a person installs enough solar panels (PV) you can heat and light your home for ZERO....

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote