View Single Post
Old 04-12-09, 05:16 AM   #7
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Not necessarily. I'm posting this on a 500mhz slot 1 pentium III with 256mb of ram. Firefox has 15 tabs open and uses ~40% of memory. X is using another 10% or so, fbpanel, openbox, and mpd use another 15%, and most pdfs use ~10-20% in evince.
Congratulation, you don't qualify as an average Joe He uses a "full graphical interface (kde, gnome...)" and you aren't. I'm using enlightenment (the old e16 version) which eats only 8MB of memory.
But about all the following points I do qualify :
  • I have 143 tabs in firefox which is using 476MB (339 of real memory). Happily I have noscript and flashblock and most sites have javascript and flash deactivated : this is the only way I found to get back the power over firefox...
  • I have 7 pdf opened and acroread is eating 140MB (67 real).
  • I have only 2 ods (Open Spread Sheet) opened and OpenOffice is eating 252MB (118 real).
  • As my graphical card is using main memory, the X server is eating 399MB (134 real).
  • The strangest thing for most of you is that I'm currently using 35 xterm (text terminals, mostly connected to half a dozen remote systems) eating a total of 208MB (65 real).

I thought about buying a small "Internet PC" (such as the Asus EEEPC) because the main programs I use are firefox, xterm, ssh, OpenOffice and acroread and they are consuming a very small quantity of electricity. Because of the way I use them, firefox noticeably, the processor will certainly be underpowered and I would kill the Solid State Hard Drive with a swap file, so I would have to buy one with a "Spinning" Hard Drive which is mostly the cost of a oddment notebook with bigger disk and RAM.

Denis.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote