View Single Post
Old 06-21-12, 08:29 AM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Based on the 14k and 1250w that would suggest the unit is 11.2 EER but there is no real rating and their power ratings could be at more ideal conditions that what a normal EER rating is set at. There is a possiblity that this is close to a 10.7 EER unit but, as far as I know, I don't think energy star rates portable A/C units so you don't have any verification of efficiency. Usually you can take a window A/C and check it against either the energy star site or a product with an energy star rating on its box. ..or take a reputable brand mini-split and check it against the AHRI Certification Directory variable speed mini-split directory. Interesting that there is now an LG heat pump that puts out 9k cooling with 28 SEER, 16.4 EER, and heating at 6500BTU/hr at 17f and 11kBTU/hr 47f at 12HSPF. This is very similar to the Fujitsu 9k and 12k units. It might cost more to buy and install but depending on what you are using to heat and your electric and gas rates, going to a ductless mini-split might be a consideration depending on your cooling and heating loads. I've been strongly considering one of these smaller super efficient ductless mini-split units for most of the heating and cooling season outside of the few hottest days of the month and for the periods where we get below freezing(the gas in my area is extremely cheap at 65c/therm this winter and 11c/kwh electricity so mini-splits make less sense for me at the point where they would start defrost cycling).
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote