View Single Post
Old 06-02-12, 09:08 AM   #6
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default ROI & Performance

There have been some very excellent postings and work toward our homes envelope performance. No mater what heating/cooling sorce we use, we need to keep that energy as long as we can. But at what lengths do we go. Bull-dozer or retro-fit. Is the ROI the goal, what about comfort is that the goal? Do we need a project for our hands and sence of well being? Would our log cabin of 120 yrs old just need a little maintance. The very best thing about our being eco-renovators is anything we do improves our lives.
The passive house is a great inspiration. Alot of the technecs and materials have been around for a long time. The carefull attention to detail is the holy grail. We can do this, and save some hard earned cash.
Myself I've learned alot here. I've saved a lot of money and my family is more comfortable. ROI , yes,, comfort, yes ,, work satifaction,yes. 0.3 ACH@50 not even close but I'm not going to put down the spray foam can any time soon.

Of late I've been in the shop installing the condensate line for the home made GSHP air handler for the air condition season coming up. Also installing 1" copper for the addition of solar hot water to the south wall. Solar hot water had worked so well for the house.(haven't paid for any domestic hot water in two months) This leads me to the shops insulation. The shop is insulated Ok but R20 ceiling & wall, could be a whole lot better and the steel siding is starting to show its age. Hmm, I'm thinking, remove steel and install foam and stucco to exterior as well as one south wall of glass & copper fin. This would help air-seal the envelope as well as add much desired insulation. The other improvement considered, was heated concrete floor. We will have to pick and choose the under-takings. ROI with the further improvements. Ha, I believe with the homemade GSHP heating the shop this winter didn't cost me $400.00 in electrical costs, far cry from oil heating $2800.00 or more. From this point the ROI maybe only in resale value in the distant future or if electrical cost go up exponetially. Comfort, some windy cold nights I start work in the morn. with a shop temp of 14 Deg C. That would get better but not entirely nessisary. Something to improve greatly Eco-renovator style, you bett.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote