View Single Post
Old 06-01-12, 10:06 AM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
My point was that the line between passivehaus and regular super house is pretty small but very hard to achieve...
I do understand that point of view.

But I still think that casual ROI calculation methods, that we all tend to do when we go about making well-thought decisions, need to be updated...

Something like this from an entirely different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
...Running the calculations it will take 20 years for the lights ROI. But that is at todays dollar. The next time we have an increase in the cost of energy that ROI time will shorten...
...that way of looking at things may not lend itself to intuition very well, but it is certainly on the right track.

And there was another very interesting post in another thread (which I can't find right now) wherein the poster was trying to decide whether to insulate, and how much insulation to put in their house. The person posting was comparing the alternative of putting the insulation money into a savings account (money presumably at no risk, and a known rate of return) to the alternative of reaping the benefits of insulation and enjoying the money not spent on energy costs. In the comparison, the money not spent was treated as being equivalent to interest earned in a savings account.

When the alternatives are viewed from that perspective, the correct choice stands out quite clearly.

-AC