View Single Post
Old 03-14-12, 09:14 PM   #1
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default 2012 garden is underway

Our goal for the garden this year is to have a variety of fresh veggies available during as much of the year as possible. Therefore, we're planting about 30 different crops. Following the advice of "Crockett's Victory Garden" (a book which I recommend), we're staggering our planting, sowing a few seeds each week. It's a much more ambitious garden than last year's. I'm happy to report that, at ~600ft², it takes up almost all of the back yard.

It's usually cold and sometimes snowy in March, but we've sown some frost-tolerant vegetables in our garden. Radishes and turnips mature very quickly, and they'll be out of the way by the time the tomatoes and peppers are ready to go in. We've begun sowing leeks, spinach, and leaf lettuces outdoors as well. I'm planning to plant the same frost-tolerant crops in late fall, and harvest them throughout the winter.

Other crops I'm looking forward to are berries, an apple tree (germinated last week), broccoli, onions, cabbage, and potatoes. Because it's less expensive and more rewarding, I'll start everything from seed that I can.

This garden is plenty ambitious enough for this year. But if I had more land, I'd be tempted to try to grow wheat, pears, sugar maple, and walnut. More land's not in the cards, though. I'm happy in the city.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote