View Single Post
Old 01-01-19, 06:11 PM   #2
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The picture in your link does not appear to show any sign of a flame front, though it seems unintuitive that a ruptured line would cause such catastrophic damage. Then again, a friend of mine witnessed what happens if you put one-can-too-much R134A in an auto AC system. He said it sounded like a large bore pistol when the hose from the pump ruptured.

I suppose a fast enough discharge would allow considerable pressure build-up before it blew the doors off that fridge. Even without combustion there would be saturated vapor and ice crystals suspended in the air. This seems to match the homeowner's description of the event.

R290 has been used in residential refrigerators outside North America for years. Its use is restricted by the amount of charge.

R22 can explode within a hermetic compressor if the system is not evacuated properly. I am looking for an article describing an HVAC accident that was submitted by a consulting engineer about ten years ago. I saved it on my old computer but, alas, I can't find it. The picture showed the remains of a compressor split like a banana peel. The coils are gone and there is a distinct fireball on the brick wall of the house. The service tech was seriously injured.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote