View Single Post
Old 02-21-14, 01:13 PM   #10
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris romanov View Post
During the heating seasons the ground temperature (temperature of the concrete slab in my basement) is very stable: about 10°C to 14°C (50°F to 57°F).

A large, unconditioned basement that is also perfectly isolated from seasonal temperature extremes represents one of the key elements of my success.
Boris,

Your basement temp changes (50°F to 57°F) are pretty standard for your area. So, there is nothing very interesting there.

Your language, "...perfectly isolated from temperature extremes..." is a little curious, since it is subject to seasonal temperature changes, but why use the word "perfectly"?

In my estimation, no seasonal temperature change would be "perfect isolation", but those few words are hardly worth the time to discuss anything.

My real question is are you just running your heat pump water as described in the installation literature, or did you modify it in some way that it is directly coupled to your slab?

If you are simply running it conventionally, what's the big deal? Xringer has been doing the same thing in his basement in Massachusetts for at least a year. However his small basement is getting pretty chilly in midwinter, due to :
  • He has largly de-comissioned his huge oil burning furnace, which he call "The Tarm".
  • He is absorbing heat energy from the basement via his heat pump water heater.
He was expecting an infinite supply of geothermal heat to forever keep his basement warmish, but over time it's gotten pretty chilly down there.

On the other hand if you have modified your purchased heat pump water heater so as to directly couple the evaporator to the slab, that would be pretty interesting to know about.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-21-14 at 01:16 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote