View Single Post
Old 12-23-13, 03:29 AM   #6
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Hah, good point!
I got the printer anyway, simply because I wanted one (and oh how useful it's been already!). The kit was $399, and with these lights and some of the other things I've printed, it's more or less paid for itself already.
I'm not necessarily saying that the 300-400 bucks for the lights would have been completely unaffordable - but for what you get, which is essentially a can with a light in it, it's ridiculously overpriced. I'm a fan of balance - essentially, the price/value ratio of the factory made fixtures just blew my mind, especially since it's I managed to make ones that work fine and look nice at a cost of about $1.50 a piece - and that's including the light!

Of course there's the issue of the rating. I can't very well get my printed housings rated for direct insulation contact, although I know full well that they'll never get hot enough to be a problem. In the end, that might mean that if I ever sell this place, I'll have to place some 6" pipe or so around each of the fixtures in the attic and sacrifice some attic insulation performance for the future owner :P
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote