View Single Post
Old 08-09-14, 10:44 PM   #4
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I made some progress on the filter today and thought I'd share some thoughts and pictures.

There's lots of information on the web about slow sand filters (bio-sand filters) but much of it concerns very large scale installations. The majority of pictures returned by Google are theoretical schematics. I could find very little nuts and bolts practical information about, or examples of, smaller filters within the realm of DIY.

As mentioned above the tank I'm using is a 1000 gallon cistern that will be just over half buried. The filter will be used for domestic water - yes drinking - filtered from rainwater collected off a steel roof. It's non_backflushable by design. Cleaning when necessary will involve scraping the bioscum off the sand.

I hope it works, it's a major project. The hole in the ground had to be dug by hand. The access lid on the tank is small. I fit through but barely. All the plumbing inside the tank (PVC - 1 1/4" and 6") was taken in in pieces and assembled. The aggregate is poured in a bucket at a time. I still have a ways to go.

Now to the interesting stuff,the pictures!

http://s194.photobucket.com/user/Gre.../sand%20filter

Last edited by sunspot; 08-09-14 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: pictures
sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote