View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 08:13 PM   #1
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

Default How about using galvanized steel pipe?

...in a collector?
Copper obviously has its advantages. Pex seems to me like it would suffer from lower conductivity and the risk of damage with high temps in summer, etc.
You can buy a 10' 1/2" piece of electrical conduit for like $1.60 US.
(pardon my non-SI units, but that's how they're sold here)
Seems it would be far superior to Pex in conductivity. I know the zinc coating will probably eventually flake off or corrode, but could you use some corrosion inhibitors (small quantity of the ones you put in your radiator - toxic, I know...) to improve its life?
I have a group of students I'm prodding to develop and build a low cost, effective solar heater for my classroom. We can cut these easily, attach galvanized sheet metal to them pretty easily, bend them if needed, and use rubber automotive heater hose and hose clamps to make connections. If it works great for a few years and then we have to replace the pipes, wouldn't break my heart in the name of experimentation. I can always use metal tubing on other projects (frame for my car or misc. stuff)

I did some searching and didn't come up with much, so I'm curious what you guys think. I don't want to finance copper pipe.

gascort is offline   Reply With Quote