View Single Post
Old 09-01-15, 10:25 AM   #180
marx290
Vapor Compression Goon

Send a message via Yahoo to marx290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Ron, thank you, I hope your system fires very well.

I forgot to post the 2 month data, so far from start to 2 months it used 144 kwh.

Next step/ idea, I really love this DX system, but going off grid makes for some changes. I have a few options that I would like some opinions on.
First would be to solar power the system, I could turn down the thermostat lower and decrease the max needed amps. Then 500 watts of solar power. I could use no battery and only let it run during the day, with 90 gallons of storage I could go a day or 2 without any sun and still have some hot water. And have a generator just in case I got no sun for longer than that. Or a could add some batteries and extend the run time.
Second would be to go solar water setup and use the heat exchanger in a closed loop system.
Or a could use a combo of the second option and a wood boiler loop in the chimney of one of my 2 wood stoves.
Or a could do a huge tangled mess of things and use all three options with the DX in the bottom of the tank and put in another hear exchanger in the top for solar and wood boiler loop.
Ideas?
Very nice work MEMPHIS91! I have enjoyed reading this thread, and all the support this community provided is really inspiring! Just to throw my two cents in, I think the battery and PV capacity is going to be pretty expensive; just the PVs with grid tie makes some sense, like Jeff said.

If you go DC, I know there are some small DC compressors available on ebay. I might be assembling a small air conditioner for a teardrop trailer in the coming months. I'll post it when I have something.

I'm a fan of simple things that don't destroy much exergy, like solar thermal, or a flue exhaust heat exchanger, that you spoke of.

By far, the easiest way to get off grid, is by conserving first. I can't imagine trying to convince to a teenager the value of a NAVY shower, but provifing the family a little water consumption feedback with a water meter might be valuable.

Anyway, great work on the bore hole and the tank heat exchanger!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
marx290 is offline   Reply With Quote