View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 09:40 AM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Solar space heating for shop

Here in Ontario Canada fall weather is beginning. Nice weather for working outside. For fellow Eco-renovator that have been following and remember 2 yrs. ago I had built and installed a homemade Ground source heat-pump under the tutelage of AC Hackers Manifesto in the shop. I would say the GSHP was a resounding success. Reduced my shop heating bill (furnace oil) from $2800.00/yr. to less than $500.00

Many may also remember the solar hot water heating system we had installed to my home also a very successful adventure. Reducing energy costs by a min of 1/3. If we receive a good solar fraction in-excess of 1/2 of the heating energy. Dollar wise $1200.00 approx.

Now I would like to install a solar heating system in the shop. The south facing wall is perfect for the application. I know what you maybe thinking, at a cost of $500.00 /year for heating why bother. 1./ the position of the shop is perfect. 2./ I still have a lot of copper left from the home system I had assembled as well as recycled tube. 3./ Windows have rotted corners I have to open the wall anyway to replace. 4./ Already have a hot water system ready for implementation. 5./ May reduce my shop heating bill to near zero. 6./ Electricity will always increase in cost therefore solar hot water is an excellent investment Sunshine will always be free!!.

In the photos is a captured typical temperature of glycol (solar collector)circulating in the system. When the sun is shinning minimum 6 hrs. per day is a lot of heat!!

So far the steel siding has been removed and the copper tubing that was used to convey the furnace oil from the tank to the furnace (removed 2 yrs. ago) has been pulled from the walls and readied to be recycled into riser tubes for the solar collectors. Boy I enjoy this type of recycling. I have a very simple method to straightening the tubing- give it a tug with the lawnmower and tree. It makes the tubing as straight as an arrow. The steel siding was replaced with couple screws to keep the insulation dry. In the photos is a pic. of the simple copper form tool that puts a groove in the copper strip stock to solder the copper riser tubes.

A little side note: I had stopped into my previous furnace oil sales office and the cost of furnace oil has increased to the price that would have pushed my costs for keeping my home and shop comfortable for the heating season to $10k WOW.

I would say the extra efforts and capital costs of Solar Hot Water and Geo thermal have well been justified. So if any other Eco-Renovators are on the fence It does work well!!

Randen

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 10-23-13 at 09:11 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote