View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 09:12 AM   #153
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Any one working toward Off Grid

Fellow Eco-renovators

This huge project is nearing completion. The addition of another 3.5 kws of solar panels is complete.
During this summer we have been off the grid for 95% of the time. The pesky 5% seemed to be always a day when some clothes needed washing/drying while the car had been charging with an overcast condition happening after say 2:00 pm. Although the sky is still bright the batteries were loosing ground slowly discharging. After supper had been cooked over the electric cook top by about 11:00 pm and the heat-pump air-conditioner winding down the remaining charge was not sufficient to power us through till morning.

It seemed quite apparent that some additional power in an reduced sunlight condition would help greatly. The consistent household power requirements seem to be up to 3.2 kw. With the additional panels in a lower solar input at 7:00 pm I'm seeing 5.6 kw so the batteries are still full.

Now for the question " does this all make financial sense"???? I need to go back to 2009 when I almost couldn't afford my energy costs. $11000.00 / yr (furnace oil + Electric cost)
We installed solar hot-water heating and Geothermal heating/cooling. The cost for this change was about $32000.00 which reduced my annual energy cost to less than. $5000.00 so in 5 yrs. was my return of investment. I think that this is exceptional !!

For the solar off grid system my cost roughly $35000.00 (batteries, inverter and 14.5 kws of panels) If we may consider that I'm able to supply 90% of my energy costs that puts my Return of investment at <8 years.

But wait, There is More!!!!! I'm driving electric vehicles. I haven't bought gasoline in 3 yrs. and I charge these mostly on sunshine. For accounting purposes which column should I put this??? OK I would spend upwards of $4500.00/yr. on gasoline. Should this be in the cost of transportation column with the cost of the vehicle or used for ROI on the cost of the vehicle. your call

Suffice its an energy cost that's not coming out of my pocket.

One funny incident. I use the electric truck (1998 Chevy S-10 EV) for my business delivering my tools. The capital cost ($4788.00) for the lithium batteries was in the column "vehicle repair & maintenance" was flagged by the accountant. I asked her to compare the previous years fuel cost with the year she was looking at. Ding... ok the company spent $54.00 for fuel this fiscal ( I borrowed a vehicle) Soooo for the for-seeable future you will have no costs for fuel. CORRECT

Randen
Attached Images

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
creeky (08-04-19), Daox (08-04-19), Mikesolar (08-07-19), zorander6 (08-05-19)