View Single Post
Old 08-27-14, 03:46 AM   #10
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
The real irony? He's against power electronics yet he promotes PFC where it offers little benefit. At the large scale, there are ways to do PFC (namely LC filters) without resorting to semiconductors of any kind.
Let me assure you I am not selling capacitor-in-box PFC.

Little benefits by who's account? I think you're calling IEEE and IEC "BS".

I'm not just parroting something from Wikipedia or websites of questionable credibility like a self-published website. Like the nlcpr or what was that called. I posted the link to paper which is hosted directly on IEEE site.

Electronic ballasts once made very high levels of harmomics but those high harmonic units are not made for commercial use anymore. Lighting is a substantial portion of total demand in commercial buildings.

Now the dirty power electronics containing computers, CFLs motors combined are starting towards having the same sized foot print in portion of power used in homes. You do have the CHOICE to buy low efficiency or high efficiency products.

If you dislike PFC that much, then another option is advancing Smart meters more. Net metering capability etc are already there and hardware's already there. It's just a matter of integrating harmonics monitoring in " embedded firmware " you like so much and getting PUC to ok it so it becomes legal to add demand and demand distortion charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
Glad to know it is not just a power electronics bias effecting my opinions and to see a couple of well know mainstays and great contributors to this forum also recognizing a troll chumming the waters <G>

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and go on ebay tonight and buy a couple of the cheapest Chinese VFDs I can find <G>
So, is it my bias and you think my account of their failure susceptibility is bunk?

Last edited by ICanHas; 08-27-14 at 04:05 AM..
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote