View Single Post
Old 03-28-13, 01:09 AM   #1448
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormston View Post
Anyone know of a source for brazed plate heat exchangers that are rated at high pressures?

The air conditioner i've started dismantling uses R410A and looking at the rating plate i need a heat exchanger rated at 36 Bar working pressure. after searching ebay etc. the best i can find are from Germany rated at 30 Bar.
My condenser HX is rated at 25 bar. Not knowing any better I originally asked for a 30 bar unit, but the supplier pointed out (A) I didn't need one, and (B) if I still wanted one it'd be nearly twice the price.

410a is more efficient because there are less frictional losses with the lower mass flow. In a self contained unit (not split with relatively long pipes) there is little efficiency to be gained, and considerable difficulties to be faced (for the typical diy'er) using a high pressure refrigerant like 410a.

The only thing you will see is you won't see the rated output from your compressor. You get proportionally less mass flow as it'll have a much smaller displacement than an R22 unit. Having said that, it'll not work as hard, so your power input will be proportionally less also, although your power factor will probably go to poo too.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote