View Single Post
Old 03-27-13, 12:00 PM   #1443
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearden View Post
...costly (analog pin-wise) to use the existing analog pins on my Raspberry Pi (main controller), and this doesn't seem to support digital I2C networking and the Arduino does...
I haven't worked with the Pi, but on the Arduino, various pins come up by default as PWM or digital or analog, etc. But in the header of your sketch or program, you can initialize the pins as you wish, thus changing the default condition.

Also, if you had the heat pump in some room, it would of course be best if the sensor was able to trigger an exhaust fan which draws air from the floor and sends it out side (and an alarm, too). But it is important that neither electro-mecnanical relays, which can spark, nor brush-type fans, which can spark, be involved as they could be an ignition trigger.

Solid state all the way and ECM fans, too!

My personal favorite approach is a small masonry shed that is separated from the main structure, which has the refrigerant-to-water HX sending only warm water into your dwelling. That would be where you would locate the sensor and extractor fan and alarm. That's how they seem to be dealing with flammability issue in the UK.

But I like your I2C network idea, keep going with that.

BTW, only yesterday I had a talk with one of my friends who, through neglect, set his living room ablaze and nearly burned his whole house down. It had absolutely nothing to do with heat pumps or hacking or flammable gases, but it did have everything to do with irresponsible, mindless neglect.

Take heed,

-AC
cbearden (03-27-13)