View Single Post
Old 10-08-13, 09:41 AM   #89
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
pinballlooking,

Will the Volt charge the traction battery while running on ice (internal combustion engine)? The Prius is built to do that. I can charge while driving. I was told the Volt can't charge traction battery while driving only from an outlet.
There is a mountain mode the will charge the battery to a point but it really does not make sense because it is cheaper to just run on gas once the battery is depleted.
Regen still charges the battery after the ICE kicks on and it will switch back and to EV similar to the Prius after the battery is depleted.
The Volt still uses EV even at 85 MPH the Prius and others will not do this just yet.

The mode I like the best is the hold mode this forces the gas ICE to run. I use this when we go to the lake and we know we will drive past the range. A small part of the trip is interstate I switch to hold on that part. Then when we get off the interstate I switch back to EV mode. We use .25 gals of gas for the trip. You don’t have to do this but it will extend the EV range some on the trip.

I think the hard thing about any of the Hybrid EV or extend range EV‘s is you really need to look at how you use a car and decide if it works you.
We want to be able to use solar to power our car but sometimes we drive past a EV range so a EV only would not work for us.

This QA does better than I can at explaining the differences
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/faq.html

Mark

Last edited by pinballlooking; 10-08-13 at 10:03 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote