View Single Post
Old 06-12-18, 08:03 AM   #4
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
You could sacrifice a $100 submersible pump to get the silt out. The well guys usually use old worn out pumps to get gunk out of wells.

As to your red is it clay or is is rust? Also how is the well sealed. 24" is a big hole and not as easy to purchase well seals for as you would have to weld one together.
The well is lined with concrete cylinders and cannot be sealed. The red is definitely red clay. It got substantially worse in 2016 after the wife burned up two pumps. I was out of town and she had to pay to have them replaced. The well service guy didn't want to deal with her again so he dropped the foot valve another 10-15 feet to reduce the chance of pumping it dry again. The foot is now sitting just above the silt build-up and picks it up after a heavy rain.

24" bored wells were popular here for decades. After eight years of low rainfall well companies stopped servicing them and started pushing deep wells which are more drought tolerant and don't fill with silt.

I agree that pumping out the silt is the only practical solution. I found an old jet pump that should last long enough for the job. It will have to wait until fall when cool weather arrives.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote