View Single Post
Old 09-09-16, 08:14 AM   #30
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I had automotive heater hose left over from another project . Used it for a drain hose on both of our MS's . But the factory hose was long enough to connect on the opposite side of the wall ( through the 3" hole ) .

I slipped one hose over the other and used a screw clamp . Then black electrical tape over it all .

I agree , those flares look terrible ! :-( On both of my installs , I used 50' rolls of Mueller cut to length .

I would cut them all off and re-flare them ( be sure to put the flare nuts on the tubing before you do the new flares ) .

I obsessed about having the " correct " flare tool , about the angles and such . I cut some short pieces of copper and did some practicing . The better ones , I smeared with Nylog Blue and tightened down on the ends of the IDU pipes .

On a decent flare , the copper was soft enough to conform the the harder brass fittings . I think the Nylog Blue helped this , also .

I ended up using a Craftsman flare tool I had purchased 30 - 40 years ago .

On the stuck service valve I would use the ratchet & hex socket . Put firm , even , steady force on the ratchet handle . ( You may have to hold the body of the service valve with another tool . ) If that does not help ask your assistant to rep the ratchet handle sharply with a small hammer or something .

Please let us know how this turns out .

God bless
Wyr

PS I would not release refrigerant until you resolve the flares to your satisfaction .

Last edited by WyrTwister; 09-09-16 at 09:10 AM..
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote