View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 03:57 AM   #109
mrd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
I may have to hire someone to hang the siding when we get it painted. I can't hang it by myself and Ricky can't help on a ladder.
Have you heard of solosider? If I ever had to hang hardi alone that's what I'd try using. Might be worth looking at.

Also you mentioned having it well insulated to allow solar heating/cooling. Reducing air leaks goes a long way in reducing the heating/cooling loads. Sprayfoam insulation also seals cracks, so that will make your walls airtight. If you're blowing in cellulose in the attic, you'll want to detail all the cracks and joints for making them airtight. An easy method is to spot spray critical areas with spray foam.

Cracks at high and low areas are more of a problem, as stack effect pressure increases air leakage through these points. Also, if you use any fans for HVAC/ventilation, it's best to balance them so there isn't any net negative/positive pressure on the envelope. I suspect the large garage door will be tough to make air-tight.

At the start of the thread you wrote there's 2" XPS between the slab and block wall, I assume that's at the slab edge, so you can see the top of that insulation when you're looking down along the floor perimeter? How is the short block wall itself going to be insulated?
mrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrd For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (08-17-10)