View Single Post
Old 08-11-10, 09:23 AM   #103
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

mrd, thanks for the depth of info in that last post. I hope others take the time to try that free program out. As I have finished installing my windows, I'm "a day late and a dollar short."

Also agree with the trade-offs you've mentioned. I've mentioned previously that the building is not perfectly oriented to true south. It is either 7 or 13 degrees off. Since I couldn't figure out the direction of the 3 degree magnetic declination, I chose 10 degrees from magnetic and pressed on. In the planning stage, I was told up to 15 degrees from true south was acceptable by someone I trust. Plus, 10 degrees also sets it to about as much of an offset to the street as I could stand {yet another compromise }.

Before virtually all homes {at least in the southeast} were equipped with air conditioning, awnings were quite popular. While I am not going to use a factory awning, if heat gain in the summer feels excessive, I can always craft something that could be mounted to the bottom of the overhang to shade the windows and pivot in and out as needed. The upper floor will eventually be air conditioned for the wifes use, but the lower level will likely just get a large {ceiling?} fan.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote