View Single Post
Old 04-13-10, 07:22 AM   #3
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I looked up the Mooney wall and it has some real merit. My plan calls for 5 windows 3' x 5' on the south facing wall for the passive solar benefit. On the outside of the OSB sheathing, will be 1/2" blueboard (extruded polystyrene) under the Hardiplank siding. On the inside, I am planning to have the walls and underside of the roof sprayed with foam insulation. My wife and I used it on our home and really like it.

Our plan, unless the money runs out, is to have a standing seam metal roof installed. I want to be able to hang solar panels on it without going to the effort to build a racking system. My real concern is, will the roof support the load of the solar panels? The outer roof pitch is 18.73/12 and the inner pitch is 3/12.

Last night I built my first door header, for the garage door opening. Triple 2x10x12, each separated by 1/2" extruded polystyrene for a thermal break as well as a spacer. Turns out that makes the beam 1/4" too thick, but I can compensate for the extra thickness when I finish the inside wall.

I came back and added this header picture, but it was before I dropped it and had to repair it. See notes in post #8, where I rebuilt the damage but left out one layer of extruded polystyrene.
Attached Images

Last edited by gasstingy; 04-22-10 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Add picture
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote