View Single Post
Old 02-17-16, 09:51 PM   #4
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Though I can really offer no advice, I am thinking about doing just about the same thing you are. It had been suggested to me to use the new Tesla batteries but I haven't gotten around to looking into them yet.

I'll be following this closely. Thanks you posting!
I am hugely under impressed with what Tesla is marketing for storage batteries. The $350/kwh is not terrible for new batteries but still is a bit high to be really cost effective. Also from what I read about the power output from the packs they seem kind of dismal. I have heard that they will be announcing a new pack in the near future. Again, mine is simply a good theoretical study. I don't plan on doing it any time soon, but thought it might give others a good idea of what is possible at current prices and with current technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Thanks for posting that project I really love reading about projects like this.

Check out this project it might interest you. he is using a Tesla battery pack.
Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

I would love to do this someday but this winter we used 100KW one day now this was a Max usage day. We charged our car three plus times. But you have to plan for the worst day.
I think a EV car is great with solar but it makes it harder to go off grid.
Thanks for the link. Looks like it could take a few days to read.
I would actually use a gas powered car to charge the house batteries if it came down to it. CA cars already have the strictest emission standards in the US, so I would guess that I'd actually be polluting less than most of the power plants that provide energy to the state. Although as I understand it we are powered by a good number of natural gas powered plants.

Wow! A hundred Kwh in one day.I think the worst I've had in years is close to thirty on a roasting summer day. Still I guess electricity is still cheaper than gas to power your car.
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote