View Single Post
Old 11-16-14, 05:09 PM   #10
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I have installed my Sliding door insulation treatment. If I had the bubble wrap I would of put it up as the first layer.

I did staple some 10 mil plastic up it was nice to work with and went up tight without crinkles , then using finishing nails I nailed up a light blue comforter very tightly to the door frame, no crinkles either.

I put my curtain rod back up with the curtains on it at night I can close those for more insulation , during daylight the light blue comforter shines a sky blue color that appears cheerful or summer like in my Imagination. Imagination helps ! haha.

So my energy sapping sliding glass door is now much more energy efficient than before.

I guesstimate it will reduce the cold emission by 75%

what I will do is measure its surface temperature tonight and compare it to a single pane of glasses temperature and see what gains it has made.

Right now the comforter 83*F on its surface with the sun on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit:

~ back after sundown to add temperatures ~

30*F or -1 c at 6:00 pm sun is down

The house is 68*

For the comforter its 63* at the top and 58* in the middle the bottom is 53*

In the same room the small kitchen windows temperature was 38* F and the other twin window to it in the bathroom , which was directly above a running 500w baseboard heater was 42*

If my math is right .. it works out to a 70% reduction in the sliding glass doors cold emissivity.
One thing is for certain , It will cause a reduction in the heating Btu's required this Winter.

`````````````````````````````````

Last edited by ecomodded; 11-16-14 at 08:26 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote