View Single Post
Old 04-27-11, 10:47 PM   #26
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default EcoRenovator's heating degree days...

Here are some heating degree days for some of the many past and present EcoRenovator posters.

I used this URL to get 5-year average degree day info.

I tried to get a variety of locations, and in most cases I needed both a city and state (or country). In a few cases, I just guessed.

higgy
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Maxis
Riga, Latvia_

Daox
Germantown, WI

Piwoslaw
Warsaw, Poland

Xringer
Woburn, MA

Big Al
Glasgow, Scotland

osolemio
Copenhagen, Denmark

TimJFowler
Santa Fe, NM

AC_Hacker
Portland, Oregon

Hugh Jim Bissel
Dallas, Texas
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
if you are not included on the list, not to worry, I was trying for a variety of locations. You can go to the degree-day URL, find your average degree day, and cross check on the chart to find your own wall thickness.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Then I took a look at this table which showed Passive House wall thicknesses for various locations in Europe.

I then found the heating degree days for each location mentioned on the chart, and did a point scatter of degree days vs wall thickness and did multiple curve fits on this data scatter and found that a linear fit was not perfect but still close enough to be very interesting.

So I used the formula from that linear fit, converted all cm wall thicknesses to inch wall thicknesses, and Applied it to the EcoRenovator list to see what Passive House wall thickness would be about right for their location's heating degree day figure.

So this chart should give you a rough idea of how thick your Passive House wall thickness might need to be. This assumes that a HRV of certified 80% or better efficiency was used, and that Passive house standards of insulating and sealing, etc were adhered to.

Kind of interesting don't you think?

(NOTE: data error has been repaired)

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-28-11 at 09:58 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-28-11), Piwoslaw (04-28-11)