View Single Post
Old 04-27-11, 12:06 PM   #23
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Rearding foam vs cellulose, I started my house insulation with foam because at the time the other choice was fiberglass and I wanted much higher R-value per inch. Even though foam was more expensive, it seemed like a good choice. Now that I have done most of my house, and the results are encouraging, were I to do it again, I would go with cellulose... maybe with a foam skin against the outside wall to stop the leaks, then dense pack in the remaining space (I increased the space to 6 inches).

I really like what I have read from eco-savvy Europeans... they seem to have a more thoroughly-internalized understanding of embodied energy, and carbon sequestration. Here in USA, 50% don't believe in evolution (for them personally, it apparently didn't happen) and about the same number doubt that global warming is occurring, or that it is a concern. That's pretty dismal... something crucial has failed in our society.

So, I think it is easier for Europeans to encompass the many aspects of eco-decisions, such as what to use for insulation, and to see that R-value alone is not enough to make a decision... there is also embodied energy and sequestration of carbon. I really think that when all the factors are weighed, better choices can be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
I couldn't even get the house to 50 pascals with the blower door. The home owner was all gung ho about installing insulation but it will do him little good when there is a hole in his basement going right into his unconditioned crawl space. o.0
Wow, S-F... you have your own blower door?

You've been holding out on us. Got any pix of it?

BTW, regarding camera, I don't know if you are a thrift store junkie like I am, but very good 4 and 5 Meg still cams are pouring in to the Goodwills all across our fair country. Be sure to take some good batteries with you and test them out before you buy.

I picked up several and gave them to friends who hadn't gone digital yet.

I was paying $40, now they are typically $10 to $15.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-27-11 at 12:25 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote