View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 06:43 PM   #33
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
I took a look at the picture of the roof. First, shingles have no resistance to moving objects so it's up to underlayment, how thick is that OSB? It looks very thin, that's a very poorly constructed roof. In the North East we have a 40# sq./ft code. The garage built in 2006 runs 16" on center with 5/8 exterior plywood underlayment. That hail would very likely not penetrated my roof.
What's your roof code? Did other people in your neighborhood have that kind of roof damage?

Also I recommended tilting the modules when weather centers predict storms. That's not to say that hail wouldn't damage modules but there are measures and I'm sure there are people in your state with PV systems.

How often do you get storms like that? It seems to me that roof codes would not permit your roof if that was the normal condition.

Rob
The old roof was builder grade, note that the new roof looks different. ALL the roofs in the entire neighbourhood were replaced. Roofing companies were putting up signs at the entrance of the neighbourhood like they were running for elected office...
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote