View Single Post
Old 11-15-16, 04:16 AM   #4
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 24000 BTU AC hack

b420ady

Welcome to the forum. The project you have suggested I believe is do-able. The mini-split/heat-pump your looking at may cover most of your needs however on the coldest and windiest nights you will in all likelihood need more heat. If you were to find another 1-2 ton unit these would keep you warm through the coldest days. We have similar seasonal temps.

I would first like to caution you. I'm a realist. I wouldn't want to have you spend all your time developing a geo-thermal heat-pump plus additional money for parts when you could buy an off-the-shelf unit designed to operate efficiently down to your winter extreme temps. Do some home work. Check to see whats available before you begin.

Two thoughts, as Jeff5may had suggested about the barrel heat exchanger. This would be problematic as the heat transfer is dependant on convection and you could experience a totally frozen barrel. The tube in tube heat exchanger is the way to go for you application as the heat is transferred with the fluid being pumped around with its turbulence. Now again we have to be very careful to size this appropriately as this can freeze solid as well. Ask me how I know!!!

The next potential problem will be dumping back to the same well. You will soon exhaust the heat from this well and chill the water within. You require to draw from this well and dump to another collecting the grounds heat as the water moves through the aquifer.

With the pump and dump two issues arise: 1/ The cost of electrical power to move this water and the waters hardness. 2/ The minerals that dissolve in the water will eventually deposit in your heat exchanger. To lift the water 40 m will involve some power and this will be detrimental to your savings. This is why closed loops are a better method as the coolant within will not deposit any minerals into your H/X and you can circulate this coolant with a few watts.

Any thoughts to installing a ground loop?? What is your soil conditions?? You require about 200m / ton of heat. Do you have enough land.

Let us know your thoughts. Keep your sights focused on the goal of staying warm for very few dollars. A proper heat pump will do this without breaking a sweat.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote